Thursday, July 29, 2010

CASTING DIRECTOR: from the eyes of an actor.

The month of July was extremely busy. I’ve taken on my first official Casting Director role. Character Breakdowns; Pulling Sides; Deal Memo’s; Day out of Days; Bookings; LA trip; … and yet there is still so much for me to learn.

This experience has also taught me the value of preproduction and the necessity of preparation. It’s been humbling to see how professional the crew and cast treat their work and it makes me admire the life of the working actor even more.

As an actor we are trained to have the responsibility to tell a story, to live truthfully in imaginary circumstances – (thanks sandy!)… but, there is a great weight put on an actor, not to mention, the director or even a Production Assistant. Even on the lowest of budgets for any set, hundreds if not thousands of dollars are being spent every day. Every moment counts. It’s the professional that realizes this. It’s the professional that comes prepared. It’s the professional that I admire and motivate myself to emulate. It really is humbling to experience first hand how much more there is that I have to learn.

1 comment:

  1. So true. One of my goals is to always remember the bigger picture, and respect everyone on set, because each person as an essential part, even if I don't understand what it is. Like JJ taught us, being professional is what will set us apart.

    ReplyDelete